green mama

green mama

Monday, May 26, 2008

Meatless Monday


Happy Meatless Memorial Monday.

I had big concerns over how much opposition I was going to encounter on this meatless Monday. My Guy is a big griller, and especially on such a holiday. It seems Memorial Day is not really about honoring our veterans, but about lighting up the BBQ grill. My dad would freak if he knew that we weren't eating some sort of red meat today. Never the less, I have found an acceptable alternative that didn't cause too much of an uproar when I posed it to My Guy.

So here ya' go. I haven't tried the mushrooms yet, but it seems pretty straight forward. I am going to be serving them burger-style with a slice of cheese and an onion bun from our local bakery. The Marinated Barbecued Vegetables are a staple and they find their way onto the grill every time we light it. Even E likes them. I think they are yummy served warm or cold.


Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

3 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup canola oil
3 Tblsp. chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar

Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour mixture over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.


Marinated Barbecued Vegetables

1 eggplant, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
2 red or green bell peppers, seeded and cut into wide strips
3 zucchinis, sliced
3 squash, sliced
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
4 cloves garlic, minced

In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, basil and garlic. Pour the mixture over vegetables, cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.

Place the vegetables on hot grill and cook about 2 or 3 minutes per side, brushing with marinade.

No comments: