green mama

green mama

Thursday, May 8, 2008

More Coco Puffs, please!



"Today's children are exposed to far more TV advertising than their parents were-up to 200 commercials a day!" This according to Affluenza (2001)

And according to the AAP, children in the United States see 40,000 commercials a year. Check out this link to see how it is affecting your children's health.

These are some terribly disturbing statistics. I am fortunate, my oldest E never really cared much about the television. I didn't have cable growing up, and I never really cared much for it either. I like to think that she takes after me. She is two and a half and I can probably count the number of commercials she has seen on one hand. Unfortunately, my younger one already seems to have taken after her Dada. He is not obsessed, but he thrives on it more than I do. She is only 4 months old and already seems eerily drawn to the thing.

We got around this problem by getting rid of our cable all together. Now, don't get me wrong...those first few weeks were a little rough. But, we made it through and we are so much better for it. If it were up to me, we would never turn the damn thing on again. I do live in reality (at least some of the time) and I know it will come back on one of these days. For when that day comes, I am doing what I can to stop marketers from praying on my children.

Sadly, the television is the least of our worries as parents. At least we know that it can be a threat. Our children are not even safe from these aggressive marketing tactics anywhere, even in their schools.


Do what you can for your children, to protect them from this ridiculous onslaught. How about the Parents Bill of Rights?
Cast your vote here!

No comments: