green mama

green mama

Monday, May 5, 2008

Meatless Monday


Meatless Monday

In honor of Cinco de Mayo I thought I would share one of my favorite super easy recipes. It is not authentic in any way, but tastes yummy none the less. My mother and I make our own salsa from all the tomatoes in the garden, this is a great way to use it.

Black Bean Soup

-16 oz of black beans, prepared (Or if you are short on time, 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed)
-1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I also make this homemade and freeze it, however you can use the store bought stuff, if you must)
-1 cup chunky salsa
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-sour cream (or I like to use organic plain yogurt, it is so good for you!)
-thinly sliced green onion

In a food processor or blender, combine beans broth, salsa, and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth. I like to leave it a little chunky.

Heat mixture in a sauce pan over medium heat until thoroughly heated.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream and green onion. (you can top it with anything you have on hand, i.e. tomatoes, avacado, ect.)

Serves four.

I like to serve this soup with homemade Guacamole (I got avacados at ALDI for .49 a piece, score!)and Smoked Gouda and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas, yum! Have a happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments: